Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 11 - 17 June, Tuesday, Libby, MT - 30 Miles outside of Eureka, MT(29 Miles)

Happy Birthday Rob!!!

     Today I woke up to a steady down pour of rain.  I bundled up and started riding in the rain....it never stopped raining.  About three and a half hours into my ride John caught me with the truck....not a minute too soon.  The temp dropped to 40 degrees and my fingers and toes were numb they were so cold and wet.  So I called it a day and jumped in the truck.  I couldn't even take off my gloves...the heat in the truck felt great.  I know a few weeks from now I will probably welcome the coolness.
     Our plan was to take the Road to the Sun across the Continental Divide but it was closed....so we took an alternate route around the pass to East Glacier.  During the this drive we ran into a blizzard.  The temp dropped to 26 degrees and at one point we were in at least 5 inches of snow....good thing we had a 4WD truck.  The plows were out and it felt like winter on the first day of summer.  We drove until we cleared the storm which brought us to Shelby, MT at the Comfort Inn.  The sun is out here and the temp is 55 degrees.  We saw a variety of weather today.  
     Tomorrow I plan to ride to Chester, MT.  The forecast is....you guessed it RAIN!!


                                                          Leaving Libby, MT


                                                            Libby Dam




                                                The rain started turning to snow!!


                                       Notice John from Hawaii is wearing sandals!!


                                          First day of summer in Glacier National Park!!











2 comments:

  1. WOW!
    That's not bicycling weather! Maybe you should've taken the southern route!
    I don't know how you get up everyday and jump on that bike! Hopefully the weather gets better...

    Nice sandals, John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom, I really commend you for your great effort and endurance keep strong and your friend John is a blessing to you your guarding angel . I am hoping he follows you to MI and we get a chance to meet him. your photos are wonderful. I smack John every time he gives you a hard time. pay no attention to him you should feel very proud of yourself. Thoughts and good wishes, Deb Heier

    ReplyDelete